According to WHO each year tobacco causes 5 million premature deaths. Current trends show that by the year 2020 tobacco is likely to be the world's leading cause of death and disability killing more than 10 million people annually.
Cigarettes contain more than 4000 hazardous substances which are considered as a major risk factor for lung cancer, bladder cancer, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, GIT ulcers, Atherosclerosis, Hypertension and increased rate of abortion.
Passive smoking is breathing other people's smoke. Passive smoking constitutes a serious public health risk for children and adults.
Nicotine is a powerful addiction, it can be as addictive as heroin and cocaine so smoking cessation may require two or three tries before finally being able to quit.
Most Important benefits of Smoking cessation:-
- Circulation improvement
- Increasing energy
- Decreasing Blood pressure
- Decreasing risk of stomach ulcer
- Immune system improvement
- Skin color improvement
- Reduction of shortness of breath
- Smell and taste improvement
Hints to quit smoking:-
- Set quit date and change your environment.
- Ask people not to smoke in your house.
- Tell your family and friends that you are going to quit smoking and need their support.
- Learn new skills and behaviors.
- Change your routine.
- Take medication like nicotine gum or nicotine patch under the supervision of your doctor.
- Drink plenty of fluids to wash your body from toxins.
- Don’t eat before sleeping to have good night's sleep.
- Do exercises regularly.
- Prepare yourself for relapses.